Dakota Free Press Podcast #004 is ready for your ears!
After our Veto Day conversation, Republican Representative Drew Dennert was willing to sit for another 20-minute chat about some bills that did pass during the 2017 Legislative Session. In addition, my co-host Spencer Dobson and I talk about Medicaid expansion (open again thanks to the failure of Trumpcare!), Kristi Noem and school lunch, the New York Times at Mount Rushmore, and immigration and South Dakota’s workforce shortage.
Enjoy… and if you do enjoy, send some jingly love via the Dakota Free Press Tip Jar!
Resources for this week’s podcast:
ACA Repeal Fails—Time to Expand Medicaid!
- Governor Daugaard said he supported Medicaid expansion last June.
- John Tsitrian, “Okay, Back to Medicaid Expansion in South Dakota,” The Constant Commoner, 2017.03.28.
- Medicaid expansion good for South Dakota’s budget!
- Medicaid expansion also means huge economic stimulus and job creation!
Kristi Noem Hates School Lunch
- USDA National School Lunch Program Fact Sheet
- CAH, “In Opposing School Lunch Standards, Noem Threatens Academic Achievement,” Dakota Free Press, 2017.03.28.
- Rep. Noem seeking changes to school lunch rules, 2015.03.19.
We Love Mount Rushmore!
- The article that got us going: Sam Anderson, “Why Does Mount Rushmore Exist?” New York Times Magazine, 2017.03.22.
Foreign Workers in South Dakota
- CAH, “SD Tourism Prefers Foreign Labor and Gov’t Favors over Paying Free Market Wages,” Dakota Free Press, 2017.03.27.
Interview: Rep. Drew Dennert!
- House Bill 1088: require motorists to yield to on-track equipment in addition to trains
- Senate Bill 128: allow manufacturers and wholesalers to serve alcohol at charity events
- Senate Bill 54: reform campaign finance
- Senate Bill 35: school funding and use of the 2016 half-penny sales tax hike