Because he’s more interested in turning the South Dakota Legislature into a debating society—or maybe just a sub-channel of Fox News—Senator Stace Nelson (R-19/Fulton) is introducing a time-wasting resolution to supporting building Donald Trump’s wall.
The resolution isn’t up on the LRC website yet, but in a press release, Nelson claims to have the following co-sponsors on his resolution, mostly right-wing extremists ready to join Nelson in taxpayers’ time with their hobbyhorse posturing:
- Sen. Blake Curd (R-Sioux Falls)
- Sen. Lynne Hix-DiSanto (R-Rapid City)
- Sen. Phil Jensen (R-Rapid City)
- Sen. Jeff Monroe (R-Pierre)
- Sen. Lance Russell (R-Hot Springs)
- Rep. Tony Randolph (R-Rapid City)
- Rep. Tom Brunner (R-Nisland)
- Rep. Drew Dennert (R-Aberdeen)
- Rep. Kevin Jensen (R-Canton)
- Rep. Tim Goodwin (R-Rapid City)
- Rep. Taffy Howard (R-Rapid City)
- Rep. Sam Marty (R-Prairie City)
- Rep. Julie Frye-Mueller (R-Rapid City)
- Tom Pischke (R-Dell Rapids)
Remember: the South Dakota Legislature has zero authority on federal construction projects or immigration issues. Zero. Honest conservatives agree that a wall won’t work; sadly, Senator Nelson is showing his Trumpist stripes, wanting to abuse the all-too-brief Legislative Session to create more noise to distract voters from the facts behind Trump’s bogus policy… not to mention South Dakota’s very real and pressing economic needs.
Update 18:09 CST: Stace’s latest time-waster will be Senate Concurrent Resolution 4—SCR 4. LRC has the title and sponsors up but not the text yet.