The United States Postal Service wants you! KELO reports that the USPS is looking for clerks, carriers, and handlers to handle the Christmas rush in Sioux Falls, Rapid City, Huron, and Chamberlain.
Given South Dakota’s tight job market, the Postal Service may struggle to recruit enough skilled workers, just like the rest of our employers. But if you’re looking for a seasonal gig (November 14 through January 8), here are a few reasons you should apply at the Post Office:
- $12 to $15.63 per hour—that’s pretty good starting money for a temporary gig, and better than you’ll find elsewhere.
- Fresh air: land a carrier gig, and you have the joy of getting outside, walking around town, and seeing your neighbors every day! Just wear longjohns and keep moving.
- Uniforms—if the apocalypse happens while you’re on shift, people will look at you and respect your authority. (Did Kevin Costner wear an Arby’s uniform to bring hope to survivors of the collapse of civilization? No!)
- Less caterwauling—do you really want to work in store with spoiled brats fighting over tacky toys (and that’s just the grown-ups acting like savages on Black Friday)?
- Service—you could sign up with some retailer, put your soul on pause, and spend the holidays reciting manipulative messages to trick people into buying things they don’t need. Or you could serve your country and make sure cards and letters and Grandma’s homemade scarves get where they need to go.
Don’t spend Christmas being a corporate tool—serve your neighbors and deliver the mail!