Check out the latest Dakota Free Press Podcast! In Episode #17, Spencer Dobson interviews NSU art professor Greg Blair about his upcoming book on errant bodies, mobility, and political resistance (what’s an “errant body”? Think Amelia Earhart and Black Flag!), and gets Greg’s perspective as a native Canadian on contemporary politics and Canadian national identity.
But first, Spencer and I hash out California’s travel ban, high-risk pools, the pink slime settlement, NorthWestern Energy’s upgrades to our local electrical system, and gerrymandering. Just another day at the podcast office…
So hey! If you’d like to help keep our lights on, ring the Dakota Free Press Blog Tip Jar! Every dollar you send via PayPal helps us keep the server humming and good conversation about politics, the Constitution, and South Dakota coming your way!
Below are some resources for this week’s topics:
California Travel Ban
- CA Heidelberger, “California Bans State Employee Travel to South Dakota over Anti-LGBT Adoption Bill,” Dakota Free Press, 2017.06.23.
- Dana Ferguson, “South Dakota’s Most Expensive Patients Could Return to High-Risk Insurance Pool,” that Sioux Falls paper, 2017.06.26.
- CA Heidelberger, “Maine High-Risk Model Might Work If GOP Adds Funding,” Dakota Free Press, 2017.05.19
- CA Heidelberger, “ABC, BPI Settle Pink Slime Lawsuit,” Dakota Free Press, 2017.06.28.
- SDCL 20-10A, South Dakota’s law against “disparagement of agricultural food products.”
- Katherine Grandstrand, “NorthWestern Energy Spending $20M on Aberdeen Upgrades,” Aberdeen American News, 2017.06.29.
- Dana Ferguson, “Gerrymandering a Factor in South Dakota Democrats’ Woes,” that Sioux Falls paper, 2017.06.28.
- David A. Lieb, “Analysis Indicates Partisan Gerrymandering Has Benefited GOP,” AP, 2017.06.25.
- Bob Mercer, “Democrats Woes in the Legislature,” Pure Pierre Politics, 2017.06.29.
- Amendment T—independent redistricting proposal placed on 2016 ballot by South Dakota Farmers Union, defeated by voters 43% to 57%.
- New independent redistricting proposal from Drey Samuelson, possibly to petition for placement on 2018 ballot.
Interview: Greg Blair
Remember, you can support great South Dakota podcasting by (1) sharing this podcast with your friends online and (2) contributing via PayPal to the Dakota Free Press Tip Jar! Thanks!