Speaking of Presidential politics, the current Commander-in-Chief isn’t just keeping the seat warm until the next Democrat takes over leadership of the free world in 2017. Far from lame-ducking, President Barack Obama is out defining the legacy on which his Democratic successor will campaign. Mother Jones picks out a dozen big things President Obama is has gotten done since the 2014 mid-term elections:
- Normalized relations with Cuba.
- Signed a climate deal with China.
- Issued new EPA ozone rules.
- Successfully argued in favor of same-sex marriage before the Supreme Court.
- Put in place economic sanctions on Russia that have Vladimir Putin reeling.
- Pressured the FCC to approve net neutrality rules.
- Issued new EPA coal regulations.
- Issued an executive order on immigration.
- Got fast-track authority for the Trans-Pacific Partnership and seems poised to pass it.
- Signed a nuclear deal with Iran and appears on track to get it passed.
- Won yet another Supreme Court case keeping Obamacare intact.
- Issued new rules that increase the number of “managers” who qualify for overtime pay [Kevin Drum, “President Obama Is the Anti-Lame Duck,” Mother Jones, 2015.08.25].
Gee, Senator Thune, can you reel off a list of accomplishments (no, not photo ops, not resolutions, but real accomplishments) for your last nine months of work in Washington?