The Department of Energy has extended the deadline for bids for the revival of the Deep Borehole Field Test to October 24 at 10:00 a.m. As borehole watchdog Donald Pay notes, there appear to be five bidders so far. One of those bidders, an apparent partnership of DOSECC Exploration Services and Enercon Federal Services, is following the USDOE’s directive to establish public support for the project with early public outreach in New Mexico:
Officials of two companies told Nara Visa-area residents and the Quay County [New Mexico] Commission that no nuclear waste will be involved in their proposed drilling of exploratory 3-mile-deep boreholes in the Nara Visa area for the U.S. Department of Energy.
Marc Eckles, program manager for DOSECC Exploration Services of Salt Lake City, hosted a public meeting on Oct. 4 at the Nara Visa Community Center to discuss the drilling project. On Monday, Peter Mast, president of Atlanta-based Enercon Federal Services, and DOSECC’s president, Dennis Nielson, presented the proposed drilling plan to the Quay County Commission.
After the companies’ presentation, the commission voted to allow them to proceed with their development of a bid for a contract with the energy department to conduct the drilling. Mast said four other bidders are competing for the deal [Thomas Garcia and Steve Hansen, “Borehill [sic] Drilling Discussed,” Quay County Sun, 2016.10.11].
I haven’t heard reports yet of similar meetings in South Dakota by potential boreholers. The bid deadline is only ten days away, so if any bidders are hoping to dig in South Dakota and avoid another Spink County fiasco, they’d better contact their targeted counties’ commissions or whoever else is meeting next week and get on the agenda.