The newest Dakota Free Press podcast is ready for your ears! In Episode #12, incumbent Aberdeen City Council candidate Dennis “Mike” Olson tells all about the fundamental role water plays in developing our city. Olson also talks about his experience in code enforcement, his satisfaction with the city manager and department heads, and his views on the public library and Aberdeen’s ability to welcome new folks to town.
But first, Spencer Dobson and I discuss his smashing trip to the Hills, the Deep Borehole Field Test, new U.S. House candidate Eric Terrell, election nerd news, and raw milk!
Below are resources for this week’s conversation. If you like what you hear, ring that Blog Tip Jar and help us fill the Internet with more great South Dakota podcasts!
Spencer’s Weekend in the Black Hills [00:40]
- Sam Anderson, “Why Does Mount Rushmore Exist?” New York Times Magazine, 2017.03.22.
- Podcast #4, in which Spencer and I razz Anderson’s NYT article about Mount Rushmore and the Black Hills.
- Sick-N-Twisted Brewing Company
- Naked Winery
- Harriet and Oak Café and Roaster
- Tally’s Silver Spoon
- Black Hills Institute of Geological Research Museum
Deep Borehole Field Test Canceled [03:40]
- Nancy Haigh, “Borehole Project Pulled,” Philip Pioneer Review, 2017.05.24. (A site in Haakon County north of Philip was one of four sites around the nation the Department of Energy was considering for the Deep Borehole Field Test.)
- DFP five-part series on Deep Borehole Field Test, from presentation and interviews in Redfield, SD, April 2016.
- Department of Energy explanation of DBFT.
- Rep. Kristi Noem press release on Borehole cancellation.
- Current sorry state of U.S. nuclear waste disposal.
- Proposed alternative site for nuclear waste in Florida.
Eric Terrell, GOP Candidate for Brand New Congress [09:40]
- Brand New Congress candidate list.
- D.D. Guttenplan, “Is Brand New Congress the Future of Progressive Politics?” The Nation, 2016.08.11.
- DFP on Terrell and other BNC candidate filings.
Election Nerd Feature: Statistics in Petition Certification! [14:00]
- House Bill 1035 (see Sections 7 & 8 for the new statistical standards!)
- DFP explanation of HB 1035!
- I can’t stop shouting! Math is fun! :-)
Raw Milk [18:30]
- New CDC study showing raw milk products causing most diary-related illness outbreaks.
- Study on raw milk and asthma.
- WebMD entry on E. coli and you!
- DFP on CDC study.
Interview: Dennis “Mike” Olson, Incumbent Candidate for Aberdeen City Commission [27:20]
- SoDakLiberty.com video of Olson and other candidates at May 6 forum.
- Aberdeen City Council website, with e-mail contact info for Olson and other council members.
- Aberdeen Planning, Zoning, & Code Enforcement
We also mentioned the South Dakota Democratic Party’s Summer Issues Caucus in Sioux Falls June 9–10—learn more about that event at the SDDP’s website.
Thanks for listening! Support more great South Dakota podcasting by ringing the Dakota Free Press Tip Jar!