If I took Ken Santema’s advice, I wouldn’t comment on Bill Fuhrman’s response to the Aberdeen American News‘s question to its Reader Panel on whether he is satisfied with the results of the Presidential election:
Satisfied! Trump could exchange the existing Islam worshippers in and around the White House with Christians, reinstate the National Day of Prayer, disallow the Quran in schools, totally eliminate Sharia law from our land and more closely examine incoming refugees [Bill Fuhrman, in Reader Panel, “Mixed Feelings on Election Results,” Aberdeen American News, 2016.11.15, p. 6A].
But no, I have be one of those bad old “social justice warriors” and say that Bill Fuhrman epitomizes the Trumpist ignorance and bigotry that puts our Constitution and nation in peril for the next four years. In brief:
- Article 6 of the Constitution forbids religious tests for public office.
- The National Day of Prayer needs no reinstating, since it has been preserved and proclaimed regularly by President Barack Obama.
- Banning Qurans from school is as Constitutional as banning Bibles from school. I welcome the study of both in public schools, though not at the expense of studying math, language, science, and other required classes, and not in any way that encourages belief in either religion.
- There is no Sharia law in the United States, thanks to the First Amendment and strict separation of church and state.
- We examine refugees very rigorously before allowing them into the United States. We scrutinize Syrian refugees even more rigorously.
Bill Fuhrman represents the worst of the bigotry and ignorance that propelled a sexist, racist fascist to the Presidency. I remain unapologetically at war with such bigotry and ignorance.