Want to make some GEAR UP money? The Board of Regents is hiring six regional coordinators. Here’s the listing for Dakota State University:
Dakota State University seeks applicants for a Regional Coordinator position with South Dakota GEAR UP. This position will be an employees of Dakota State University out of Madison, SD but will physically be located in Pierre, SD. Travel will be required, including some overnight.
- Facilitate the communication between schools and the Gear Up project.
- Provide training and support for the School-Based Coordinators.
- Collect and organize project participation data from each of the schools in their region.
- Distribute the student planners to students at each school site.
- Submit a monthly activity and event report to the Statewide Coordinators.
- Submit regional data quarterly to the Statewide Coordinators.
- Visit each school in your region weekly.
- Facilitate a Gear Up specific event or activity twice a month in each of your region’s schools, including academic, college and career planning sessions.
- Attend a weekly telephonic meeting with the Statewide Coordinators.
- Work with the Statewide Coordinators to plan and carry out summer events in your region.
- Assist in identifying students to attend the Summer Leadership Camp.
- Work with the regional universities to host college visits to your schools, financial aid workshops and visits by students to universities.
- Work with the regional universities to provide ACT preparation and completion of the test.
- Work with the regional universities to explore dual credit opportunities for the students in the districts that you serve.
There will be six open positions, one at each of the six South Dakota Board of Regents institutions. These positions will coordinate with and submit reports to both Statewide Coordinator of Academic Year Programs and Statewide Coordinator of Summer Programs. The position is grant funded. Continued employment is contingent on performance and availability of funding.
A Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Psychology, Social Science, Counseling or closely related field and experience working with students with diversified backgrounds is preferred. Candidate must demonstrate a working knowledge of high school graduation requirements, college admission and financial aid, and scholarship resources. Other desired skills and abilities include knowledge of Native American and rural students, and the ability to relate to secondary and postsecondary students and their communities.
Strong cross-cultural interpersonal and writing skills are necessary, including public speaking skills and the ability to present GEAR UP in a positive way to diverse populations [South Dakota Board of Regents, job posting, downloaded 2016.04.19].
Pay will be between $35K and $45K, depending on qualifications. The Regents will also be looking for 28 part-time school-based coordinators, who will get about $30K a pop. The Regents have budgeted $1.48 million for GEAR UP salaries and benefits, a bit more than half of the $2.83 million they’ve budgeted for the program.