A CNN/ORC instapoll found 75% of viewers reacted positively to Donald Trump’s acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention. Jon Stewart was part of the other 25%. The quasi-retired comedian resurrected his news-skewer routine brilliantly on Stephen Colbert’s show last night and offered this apt summary of the Republican National Convention:
I thought Donald Trump was going to speak. Ivanka said that he was going to come out. She said he was really compassionate and generous, but then this angry groundhog came out and he just vomited on everybody for an hour. But the Republicans appear to have a very clear plan for America, and they’ve articulated it throughout the convention. One, jail your political opponent. Two, inject Rudy Giuliani with a speedball and Red Bull enema. And then, three, spend the rest of the time scaring the holy bejeezus out of everybody [Jon Stewart, as transcribed on Media Matters, 2016.07.22].
Donald Trump just rants for his own ego and power. Jon Stewart rants brilliantly, intelligently, developing a point, and for the sake of democracy and liberty (words the Republican nominee did not use in his acceptance speech) and truth (a word Trump used once and followed immediately with a Pants-on-Fire lie). Show us how it’s done, Mr. Stewart.
Maybe Hillary Clinton should replace Tim Kaine with Jon Stewart for VP. That would crush Trump’s convention bump immediately and bring every young Bernie voter on board.