New Approach South Dakota, which is promoting ballot measures on death with dignity (also known as assisted suicide), medical marijuana, and recreational marijuana, is offering training for petition circulators around the state. New Approach SD held training sessions in Sioux Falls, Rapid City, and Spearfish yesterday; their Facebook page invites folks who’d like to put measures on the ballot in 2018 to these upcoming training sessions:
- Saturday, February 18: Mitchell Public Library, 2 p.m.
- Sunday, February 26: Sioux Falls downtown library, 2 p.m.
- Saturday March 11: Sioux Falls downtown library, 2 p.m.
According to KDLT, New Approach will host three more training sessions after the above through April.
New Approach SD isn’t putting all of its eggs in the initiative basket. The group is inviting cannabis activists to join them at the Capitol tomorrow for NASD’s Third Annual Cannabis Patients Lobbying Day. They’ll be at Senate Judiciary bright and early at 8 a.m. to support two cannabis-related bills that are up for hearing:
- SB 95: “An Act to add cannabidiol to the list of Schedule IV controlled substances and to exclude it from the definition of marijuana”; and
- SB 157: “An Act to create an exception for possession of a certain amount of marijuana with a valid medical marijuana card from another state.”
New Approach SD is also supporting SB 129, which would remove THC, the drug in marijuana, from South Dakota’s list of Schedule I hallucinogenic substances. SB 129 has been assigned to Senate Judiciary but has not been placed on a committee agenda.