While Donald Trump plays into Kim Jong-Un’s hands by aping the North Korean dictator’s irresponsible war-mongering rhetoric, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson speaks more like an American President capable of rational threat assessment:
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson urged calm and said Americans should have “no concerns” after North Korea and President Donald Trump traded fiery threats, insisting Wednesday he doesn’t believe there is “any imminent threat.”
“Americans should sleep well at night,” Tillerson said.
…Tillerson downplayed any speculation that the alarming developments suggested the U.S. was moving closer to a military option to dealing with the crisis over the North’s nuclear and ballistic missile programs.
“Nothing that I have seen and nothing that I know of would indicate that the situation has dramatically changed in the last 24 hours,” Tillerson said [“Tillerson Urges Calm On North Korea, Says No Imminent Threat,” AP via KELO-TV, 2017.08.09].
300-some airmen from Ellsworth Air Force Base have deployed to Guam to fly B-1 sorties over Korea, but that’s not an escalation; Ellsworth is simply spelling B-52 crews from Minot AFB, as they did last year.
“There’s a big gap between bombast and action” on both sides. North Korea has yet to demonstrate its ability to hit anything but ocean with its rockets. But Donald Trump’s desire to distract us from his failure so far as President is at least as much a threat to global stability as Kim Kong-Un’s technological and diplomatic gambit.