Hot off the Mac—the latest Dakota Free Press Podcast!
In lucky Episode #13, conservative blogger Ken Santema sits down with this liberal podcast to talk about his run for the Aberdeen school board.
But first, co-host Spencer Dobson and I discuss Trump’s budget war on Indians, Big Oil’s mercenary war on pipeline protestors, and the Koch Brothers’ war on democracy (with free pizza!). Then we hash out Billie Sutton’s status as a Blue Dog and newly declared candidate for Governor.
Below are resources for this week’s conversation. If you like what you hear, ring that Blog Tip Jar and help us fill the Internet with more great South Dakota podcasts!
Trump Budget Hates Indians (Noem not Helping) [01:43]
- Juana Summers, “Looming Trump Budget Cuts Deepend Distress on Pine Ridge,” CNN, 2017.05.28.
- Rep. Kristi Noem, press release on IHS “reform”, 2017.05.25
- CA Heidelberger, “Trump Budget Slashes Support for American Indians,” Dakota Free Press, 2017.05.29.
TigerSwan Mercenaries Infiltrated Dakota Access Opposition [05:31]
- Alleen Brown, Will Parrish, and Alice Speri, “Leaked Documents Reveal Counterterrorism Tactics Used at Standing Rock to ‘Defeat Pipeline Insurgencies’,” The Intercept, 2017.05.27.
- CA Heidelberger, “ETP Mercenaries Surveilled, Infiltrated Dakota Access Protests, Portrayed Opponents as Jihadists,” Dakota Free Press, 2017.05.31.
Free Pizza and Koch Brothers! [11:57]
- Sourcewatch on Americans for Prosperity
- Tom Hamburger, “The Koch Brothers’ Impact on the American Political System,” Washington Post, 2016.01.15.
- CA Heidelberger, “Koch Brothers Handing out Free Pizza and Pro-Corporate Propaganda in Aberdeen Thursday,” Dakota Free Press, 2017.05.29.
Billie Sutton, (Blue Dog) Democrat for South Dakota Governor [19:21]
- Sutton interview with Dakota Free Press, 2017.05.31.
- Sutton announcement speech, with endorsements from Max Sandlin and Bernie Hunhoff, 2017.05.31.
- Sutton opening campaign video
- Sutton for Governor website
- Todd Epp, “NRA Endorsements: Democrats and Native Americans Need Not Apply,” KELO Radio: Token Liberal, 2017.04.25 (showing Sutton’s A- rating from NRA).
- South Dakota Right to Life 2012 scorecard giving Sutton an A rating for his first term voting record.
- Equality South Dakota 2016 Voter Guide giving Sutton a “positive” rating on LGBT issues based on voting record.
- South Dakota voter registration totals by party and by county as of June 1, 2017: 46% GOP, 31% DEM, 22% Ind/Other 23%.
Interview: Ken Santema for Aberdeen School Board [38:37]
- Ken Santema campaign Facebook page
- Santema’s blog SoDakLiberty.com
- May 6 candidate forum, hosted by League of Women Voters
Now admit it—that’s the most fun radio on the Internet you’ve heard all week! Share it with your friends and show your love by putting some cash in the Dakota Free Press Tip Jar!
Bonus: Here’s the first Dakota Free Press Podcast blooper reel (well, one blooper—we’re pretty good at one-take conversation!):