I haven’t sorted out the proper policy response to the Orlando massacre yet (though Donald Trump hasn’t, and never will). I can suggest a proper moral, public response: attend the Pride Festival at Terrace Park in Sioux Falls this weekend. The main stage offers the following speakers and performers:
- 12:45: Opening flag ceremony and national anthem
- 13:00: Mayor Mike Huether
- 13:10: Rep. Paula Hawks
- 13:20–14:50: Drag show
- 15:00: Music—Amber Simpson
- 15:45: Music—Tender Tomboys
- 17:00: Thomas Christensen, Center for Equality
- 17:30: Music—Valleyhill
- 18:30: Commitment ceremony
The Kids Zone will have crafts, games, and a fire truck (because we all like looking at fire trucks!) all day, plus a visit from the Great Plains Zoo’s ZooExpress from 14:00 to 16:00. The Terrace Tent will offer Drag Bingo at 15:00 and free Zumba classes afterward on the hour.
Come hang out with your neighbors, and affirm that love is stronger than hate.